Join My Team
I am always looking for new members to join my research group. Please contact me to learn about available projects. I especially encourage women and underrepresented groups in optimization to reach out. However, all candidates must meet the following criteria to be considered:
- Admitted PhD students at NU IEMS or related fields (prospective students are strongly advised to apply and be admitted first)
- Recent PhDs in OR or related fields (for post doc opportunities)
- Evidence of research skills or interests (e.g., journal publications, undergrad or M.Sc. theses, technical reports)
- Strong record in optimization and related coursework
- Programming experience (e.g., C, C++, Java, Python, Matlab, Gurobi, CPLEX, etc.)
- Linchuan Wei, PhD student, Northwestern.
Nemhauser Student Paper Prize, 2021.
- Qimeng (Kim) Yu, PhD student, Northwestern.
Honorable mention, Mixed-Integer Programming Workshop Student Poster Prize, 2022.
- Akul Bansal, PhD student, Northwestern.
Past Post-doctoral Fellows
- Merve Merakli, Post-doc, Northwestern.
First position: Exxon-Mobil Research.
Past PhD Students
- Dinakar Gade, PhD, 2012 (co-advised by S. Sen).
Dissertation: Algorithms and Reformulations for Large-Scale Integer and Stochastic Integer Programs
First place in 2012 IIE Doctoral Colloquium Poster Competition.
First position: Iowa State University (Post-doctoral fellow).
- Minjiao Zhang, PhD, 2013.
Dissertation: Polyhedral Approaches to Dynamic Decision Making under Uncertainty
First place in
George Nicholson Student Paper Competition, 2012.
First position: University of Alabama (Assistant Professor).
- Pelin Damci-Kurt, PhD, 2014.
Dissertation: Mixed-Integer Programming Methods for Transportation and Power Generation Problems
First position: Lightning Bolt Solutions.
- Xiao Liu, PhD, 2016.
Dissertation: Integer Programming Approaches to Risk-Averse Optimization
Third place in ICS Student Paper Prize, 2015.
First position: United Airlines.
- Merve Merakli, PhD, 2018.
Dissertation: Risk-Averse Optimization in Multicriteria and Multistage Decision Making
First position: Northwestern University (Post-doctoral fellow).
- Hao-Hsiang Wu, PhD, 2018.
Dissertation: Stochastic Combinatorial Optimization with Applications in Graph Covering
First position: National Yang Ming Chiao Tung University (Assistant Professor).
- Hasan Manzour, PhD, 2019 (co-advised by A. Shojaie).
Dissertation: Mixed Integer Quadratic Optimization for Learning Directed Acyclic Graphs from Continuous Data
First position: Amazon (Research Scientist).
- Saumya Goel, MS (thesis), 2011.
First position: Qualcomm.