Theoretical and Methodological Expertise:
- Mixed-Integer Programming
- Large-Scale Optimization
- Optimization under Uncertainty
- Network Optimization
- Infrastructure (e.g. power systems, computing)
- Social networks
- Statistical learning
- Supply chain management
- Humanitarian logistics
- National Science Foundation, Collaborative Research: 2018 Mixed Integer Programming Workshop Poster Session, Greenville, South Carolina, June 18-21, 2018, 2018-2019.
- National Science Foundation, Mixed-Integer Programming Approaches for Risk-Averse Multicriteria Optimization, 2015-2019.
- National Science Foundation, CAREER: Mixed-Integer Optimization under Joint Chance Constraints, 2011-2017.
- National Science Foundation, Stochastic Mixed-Integer Optimization: Polyhedral Theory, Large-Scale Algorithms and Computations (with S. Sen), 2011-2014.
- National Science Foundation, Mixed-Integer Optimization for Multi-Item, Multi-Echelon Production and Distribution Planning, 2008-2012.
- Center for Aviation Studies, OSU, Dynamic Optimization Approaches for Air Transportation Problems under Uncertainty, 2012.
- ICS (INFORMS Computing Society) Prize (with S.Sen, D. Gade, J. Higle, L. Ntaimo and H. Sherali), 2015
- Lumley Research Award, College of Engineering, Ohio State University, 2014
I am always looking for new members to join my research group. Please contact me to learn about available projects. I especially encourage women and underrepresented groups in optimization to reach out. However, all candidates must meet the following criteria to be considered:
- Admitted PhD students at NU IEMS or related fields (prospective students are strongly advised to apply and be admitted first)
- Recent PhDs in OR or related fields (for post doc opportunities)
- Evidence of research skills or interests (e.g., journal publications, undergrad theses, technical reports)
- Strong record in optimization and related coursework
- Programming experience (e.g., C, C++, Java, Python, Matlab, Gurobi, CPLEX, etc.)
- Dinakar Gade, PhD, 2012 (co-advised by S. Sen).
Dissertation: Algorithms and Reformulations for Large-Scale Integer and Stochastic Integer Programs
First place in 2012 IIE Doctoral Colloquium Poster Competition.
First position: Iowa State University (Post-doctoral fellow).
- Minjiao Zhang, PhD, 2013.
Dissertation: Polyhedral Approaches to Dynamic Decision Making under Uncertainty
First place in
George Nicholson Student Paper Competition, 2012.
First position: University of Alabama (Assistant Professor).
- Pelin Damci-Kurt, PhD, 2014.
Dissertation: Mixed-Integer Programming Methods for Transportation and Power Generation Problems
First position: Lightning Bolt Solutions.
- Xiao Liu, PhD, 2016.
Dissertation: Integer Programming Approaches to Risk-Averse Optimization
Third place in ICS Student Paper Prize, 2015.
First position: United Airlines.
- Merve Merakli, PhD, 2018.
Dissertation: Risk-Averse Optimization in Multicriteria and Multistage Decision Making
First position: Northwestern University (Post-doctoral fellow).
- Hao-Hsiang Wu, PhD, 2018.
Dissertation: Stochastic Combinatorial Optimization with Applications in Graph Covering
- Hasan Manzour, PhD candidate (expected graduation 2020; co-advised by A. Shojaie).
- Sinan Seymen, PhD student (expected graduation 2022).
- Saumya Goel, MS (thesis), 2011.
First position: Qualcomm.